POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Already converted DEM files : Re: Already converted DEM files Server Time
10 Aug 2024 05:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Already converted DEM files
From: Ken
Date: 14 Apr 2000 09:08:18
Message: <38F717AC.16B7A618@pacbell.net>
Vahur Krouverk wrote:

> If my memory serves me correctly, then I've used files from same site
> and the set of files seems to be OK. File size is probably OK too, my
> memory failed here: whole package was probably >80 MB. Have you tried my
> converter (see my previous post)?

I just downloaded a dem from that site and the two utilities I have for
conversion choked on them too. I then downloaded your utility and while
it was able to read the file and convert it to a .tga image there was
erroneous data in the resulting .tga the rendered it useless to me.
The dem I downloaded is of the Hawaiian Islands (w180n40.dem) which is
fairly well centered in the data. When converted to tga, with your
utility, there is a green colored stripe going directly through the
island chain (directly in the middle of the image) running left to
right. It takes up a sizable chunk of real estate

Any idea what may be causing that ?